Friday, October 14, 2011

Day One: The Breakdown

Just to set everyone's mind at ease...I am not talking about MY breakdown, but more the breakdown of my new job.  Just had to clarify that.

My first day was a good one.  And it was a short one, which I was thankful for because my brain was getting a little too full.  Not only was I there to learn the job of the Office Manager, but I was also listening to complaints from a few of the staff about what needs to be done better and changed in the office.  The day began with a short review of some of what I had done previously when I was employed with Dr. Addams.  And then we reviewed patient charts and their contents and talked some about what my duties would be once I got my feet wet.  Apparently, I am going to be "getting my feet wet" pretty quickly.  Dr. Addams wants to bring on a new therapist and that will be my responsibility.  She is also going to be opening a new practice in Ithaca and I will be overseeing part of that project as well.  I honestly don't know how they survived without this position sooner.  I can see a definite need there and I'm eager to get things changed and flowing more smoothly.

There are no policies and procedures.  None.  Zip.  And I can say this...thank God for Robin Savard.  I hope that she reads this post because what I am about to say is straight from my heart...Robin, you have been so instrumental in preparing me to take this position.  I have learned so much from you in the few years that I have sat under your leadership.  I have learned what makes an office work and what doesn't.  I've watched you handle different situations with employees and seen them change for the better because of your skills in leadership.  I've learned from your discussions about different problems you've dealt with.  But above all, I have seen God shine through you as you have always been dedicated to seeking out His wisdom and His heart for your position as a leader.  All day long today I kept thinking "What would Robin do?"  "Robin would flip if she saw this!"  And I thank you for setting that standard so high in ME because now, those tools are needed elsewhere.  And I'm humbled that God has seen fit to use me to help bring a different office to a higher standard of excellence.  I will always be grateful for the things that you have shown me and taught me.  Your willingness to be obedient to God and seek Him in your leadership has spilled out into my life.  Thank you!

And of course, I have to thank Holly as well.  On Monday, Holly spent part of our holiday sitting with me and going over a lot of the forms that she uses as our Executive Director.  I am quite sure that these forms do not exist at Dr. Addams' office...yet.  Holly, you lead with such a sweet spirit and yet you command that authority (No, not the "Do what I say" authority either...but REAL authority) by just your presence and your countenance.  I am thankful that you lead the way that you do as well because I'm going into a position where I'm not going to be the favorite person in the office and I needed that example of that sweet spirit.  God needed me to see that in you so that I could learn how to lead with that same sweetness.  In the few short months that I have known you, I have also learned from your creativity.  You have been so eager to make changes for the better and those changes have served to enhance the Center so much.  I am also thankful for your decision-making process.  Because even though I'm not working in a Christian ministry at Dr. Addams' office, I still need to make decisions the way God would have me make them.  Thank you for being obedient to God in your position as our leader.

And so now, I move forward.  I will finish out my time at the Center (I'll find out tomorrow when I will be finished working there) and I will move on to this next phase of my career with joy in my heart because I know that this is where God has ordained me to be.  I am so thankful for God's provision and for His perfect timing.

No comments: