Thursday, February 28, 2013

God's Blessings Are Right On Time

I never cease to be blown away by the goodness of God.

I started my content writing business in November 2012.  I was so excited.  I had learned so many great things about SEO from writing for Blogmutt and for Interact Media.  I was thrilled to get started on writing some copy for businesses in our area.  So, I went through all the steps of setting up your own business, and I started emailing businesses and sending out letters.  I waited.  I waited a long time, actually.  Nothing was happening, and I was frustrated.

I went to God, and I questioned him.  I asked him why this was happening.  What was taking so long?  Why was no one contacting me, if this was supposed to be what I did with my life and my writing?  I was so passionate about what I wanted and about what I could do for our area businesses.

God answered me.

He told me that he had led me to this place in my life, but I was taking control over it.  Much like I had taken control over other parts my life in the past and those things ended up being disasters.  He told me that I needed to do the things that I learned brought in good clients, which are writing blog posts on my website and sharing those posts on social media.  He then told me to keep up my writing at Blogmutt and Interact Media, and he promised me that he would take care of the clients for my business.

So, I did.

Man, was it hard!  I kept wanting to do things, to reach out to people.  When I was asked about my business, of course I answered questions.  I went on consultation appointments when they were requested.  But, I stopped doing the "cold calling" that I was doing.  The consultation appointments I had weren't amounting to much, and the temptation to say, "God, this isn't working" was there, but I never gave in to it.  God said he was taking care of it.  I knew that I was (am) a tither and that God's Word is true.  I was just waiting on that outpouring of blessings in my life.

I believe the outpouring is beginning.

Yesterday, I had a consultation with a restaurant in Corning.  I don't know if it's because I love restaurants, or if it has something to do with what Craig does for a living, but I've wanted to work with restaurants since I got this vision for local SEO.  I had a really great meeting with this particular restaurant owner.  I went into the meeting knowing that he had a certain set of views about the importance of social media over his website, and I was able to change his mind.  I know God gave me those words.  I know he opened up the opportunity for me.

Not only was I able to make him see that his website was just as important as social media and that the two go hand in hand when it comes to Internet marketing, but I was also able to convince him that a redesign of his website was in order.  He didn't balk at my prices, and he even said they were very reasonable, and that he would rather spend his marketing money with me than with the yellow pages and other advertising methods that weren't working.

He was interested in everything I said he should do.  For the first time, I was able to experience the feeling of a truly successful consultation session with a potential client.  When he showed me around the restaurant after our meeting, he introduced me to some of his staff as "Nicole, the person who is going to be helping us with our Internet marketing from now on."  He told me to go home and look at his website and work up a quote for him.  I did that yesterday, and I emailed it to him.  Right before I left, he looked me in the eye and he said, "Just so you know...I know a lot of people.  A LOT of people.  If you do a good job for me, I can get you more clients easily."

Talk about blown away!

Obedience to God pays off.  It pays off big time.  I would have never dreamed I'd be here, in this place, at this time last year.  In fact, last February, I was still working for Dr. Addams.  I was desperately trying to juggle handling all of her office responsibilities, and failing miserably at it.  I was being verbally and emotionally abused every day.  I've never felt so free in my life as I do right now.

Thank you, Lord.  Thank you for knowing when the right time to bless us is.  We don't always think you're right on time.  But you are.  I believe it.  And I trust you with every piece of my life, knowing that you always have a better plan for me than I could ever have for myself.

No comments: